"We cannot make good news out of bad practice".
~Edward R. Murrow

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Oh Good Times

This post goes out to everyone who has emailed, phoned and text messaged me to express their congratulatory messages, well-wishes, questions, and comments.  

Firstly, my apologies to all who I've not been able to respond to yet.  I will get back to each and everyone of you....soon....not sure how soon, but I will.  If it seems like I may have forgotten, please do send me another message gently reminding me of my forgetfulness. I have much going on at the moment, struggling to keep straight whether I've covered myself in transportation, expenses, food to consume or shelter above my head for the next two+ years of my life. 

Second, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, to all who have been in touch with me, in some way, in some respect, regarding this chapter of my life. 

Third, THANK YOU, again.

The past six days have been a complete blur. My mind is a jumbled jelly of what-to-do, when-to-do-it and what-to-prepare-for mess.  

So far I've had my taxes done, gone to the RMV to get my Drivers Record, had oodles of repairs and "just in cases" done to my car (many thanks to Gary and his entire crew at Gary Rondeau's Automotive in Hooksett, NH), tied up loose ends with my employers, booked the flight for myself and Louie, secured an apartment to move in to and the shipping company transporting my car has picked it up at my house to haul it off to Washington State, where consequently it will be put on a ship bound for Anchorage.

I've also had the pleasure of spending a little bit of time with Alyssa, Marianne, both of my Parents, some extended family, Jeff, Roisin, Scott, Suzy, Tracy, and Deanna. In the coming week I have to pick up my bridesmaid dress for Alyssa's wedding, take Louie to the vet, figure out the necessities to pack (bare minimum stuff!), sort out my banking and finances for AK, go to Town Hall to square away a couple of things, pack up and prepare my computer for shipping, and sort out my belongings in the bungalow. Speaking of the infamous bungalow, it has just recently been painted  -  check out these "before and after" pictures. 



















What a difference!!

Too bad I'm not going to be able to enjoy the fresh coat. Next week my Mom and I will be cleaning out everything, sorting through my post-collegiate life and either scrapping or scrapbooking what is left, and all that will be left behind...that's a daunting task but it will be good quality Mother-Daughter bonding time. Especially good because when I do make a trip or two home, they will be so brief that I'm sure we will not be having much time to spend together. That's quite different from the lifestyle we are both accustomed to at the moment. So with the current state of the bungalow, I have to move before I move...there are more "before and after" pictures at the end of this posting...

Last night my Mother organized a small gathering of family at the house. It was a great time seeing everyone. We ordered some quality pizza from Venus (pickle pizza - amazing! Thanks Roisin!) We also had a few other eclectic delectables. Boy, I'm going to miss Venus... I wonder if the Moose's Tooth has pickle, baked bean or fried dough pizza...?  Many, many "thank you's" to my family members who stopped by for a few hours. It was wonderful seeing you all and being able to share some time with you before my departure. I look forward to seeing you all again on June 7th.

Today's goings-on included interviewing my grandmother, who lives in Halifax. She is my Father's Mother, and he went with me. It was interesting to hear what she had to say about growing up in the depression and the couple of places she's lived in her life. She lead a completely different life than many people I know today. Makes me wonder how I would've made out, had I been born in 1922 instead of 1981. There's a lot to think about right there. Much hypothesizing and contemplation and appreciation for where I am today...and why...?

Tonight Jeff and I are going out for dinner. His parents gave us a gift card to a restaurant for Valentine's Day; that was super sweet of them. I'm sure we will have a great time tonight and have lots to talk about with the move.

Jeff has decided that he wants to make the move with me.  It will be a great chapter of our relationship and a great challenge, as well.  The first few months are going to be difficult for us, as the distance will truly test us. Also, there is a lot he has to think about: where to finish his last classes for school and what to do for work being two of the big things. Then there is the figuring out of all the logistics - things that I've been dealing with lately. It can be stressful at times, but adventurous most. Differences between our moves are that I know that I have a job there, another step for my career. Jeff has quite the task of answering the question: "What do I want to do". I know that's one that I still have difficulty answering precisely. I have a solid idea of what I want to do and how to accomplish it, but it took me quite awhile just to get to that point. Jeff, I know that you can do it and I'll be waiting for you in Anchorage with a smile on my face and patience in my heart. 


For those interested, here's a look at the floorplan of our new 1 bedroom apartment in the midtown section of Anchorage. Decent size for just the two of us. 
And having a balcony is pretty cool too. The windows are on the side of the building that receives the most amount of sunlight, which will be good for the winter considering it will be dark most of the days and will help with keeping a "sunny 'tude". From what I've been hearing from the Alaska-ites, everyone's moods tend to dip in the winter months.  Hopefully having this extra sunlight will help us with that.  I'm willing to sacrifice and make adjustments for the extra sunny summer's light shining in late into the evening, over the despair of the dark winter. If anyone would like the new address, please email me and I'll gladly pass it on to you. As for my other contact information, everything will be staying the same.

I believe I've taken up enough of your time for this post. It's a long one.  Keep scrolling down for those "before and after" pictures of the bungalow...

Temperature update: it is currently 11 degrees F, with light snow in Anchorage (feels like 3 degrees)

Alaska trivia:  The state of Rhode Island could fit into Alaska 425 times.


---


The Before... and The After...













 




3 comments:

Mom said...

Nice update.......made me misty-eyed when I read what you wrote about Jeff. I am so very glad he plans to join you there. It will be a wonderful opportunity for the two of you to share.....an exciting adventure! Love, Mom

Douglas said...

More pictures of Mark please!

Anonymous said...

I'm-a-comin!