"We cannot make good news out of bad practice".
~Edward R. Murrow

Friday, February 8, 2008

Post numero UNO - so THIS is a blog...


Never done this before, but I hope it becomes a recurrence, as my future geographic location may be of some hindrance to the occurrences I am used to for seeing my family, friends and colleagues in New England.   

So, here I am typing away at 8 minutes into the eighth hour of the 8th day of February 2008.

As some of you may (or may not) have heard, I am moving to Anchorage, Alaska.  

Alaska: 
49th state of the United States, roughly 20% the size of the United States at 663,267 square miles, population ranked 47th in the United States at 626,932 (for those mathematically inclined that is roughly 1.09 people per square mile), has more coastline than all of the other states combined, and is 4,586.42 miles from Washington Street, Whitman, Massachusetts.

i.e. it's a long way from home.

And I'm going to be very lonely. So that means that all of you have a cheap vacation opportunity in beautiful, scenic and culturally diverse Alaska....

Allow me to explain my reason for moving to Anchorage...  So there's this station, called KTUU (www.ktuu.com). It's award-winning up the whazoo. It was the NPPA's 2005 Small Market Station of the Year - that's a big deal, not to mention they've won the Murrow Award for excellence in journalism (that's pretty much the pulitzer prize for broadcast journalism). Anyways, I met their Director of Photogaphy, Scott Jensen, at a conference in 2006. I was lucky enough to connect with him when he critiqued some of my work from the Red Sox at that conference. Over the past year and a half Scott has periodically kept me updated with photographer positions opening up at KTUU. Fast-forward to four and a half weeks ago... Scott emails me to let me know that a position has become available at the station, and after many, many hours of spending too much time inside Carolyn's mind, and after many thought provoking conversations with my family...and a couple of convincing emails from Scott, I decided this was the creme de la creme of possible opportunities that could have possibly come my way. An award-winning staff of co-workers, the opportunity to finally work in broadcast journalism, to be a daily storyteller, to experience life outside of Massachusetts (very far outside Massachusetts, in fact, closer to Russia than to the United States), and just the adventure of the "wild" Alaska - "The Last Frontier".

So here I sit in my hotel room in Anchorage, Alaska, still feeling the slight stings of jet lag. It is currently 12:50am EST...it's 9pm Alaska time....yes, Alaska has it's own timezone...

So if you happen to read this blog before I have the opportunity to tell you in-person of this new chapter of my life, I apologize.  I hope to see most of you before I shove-off for Southcentral Alaska, which will be sometime within the next two weeks.

I have never been known for my writing capabilities, hence my behind-the-camera tv and video work, no reporter jobs for this gal. I'm sure that a lot of you will not understand the reasons I've explained for me wanting to make such a major move.  If I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to further explain my decisions to you in person, I would love to do so. I really do have a convincing explanation that is better described in the spoken word.

Adios Pantalones,
Carolyn

P.S. NO - this is not the after effects of watching "Into the Wild" with Jeff and Sean several months ago....nice try, though.

Temperature update: it is currently 6 degrees F in Anchorage (feels like -7F).

Alaska trivia: Juneau, the capital of Alaska has no roads connecting itself to the North American highway system.






9 comments:

Brain Tree Jumper said...

You won't be that lonely...

Thomas J. Maloney said...

Holy Crap you moved to Alaska!?

Wow, I'm flabbergasted. Good luck, don't get eaten by a bear or moose or some other indigenous endangered species.

What is it with my friends and living in remote, non accessible parts of the country?

Edgarthearmenian said...

Hi Carolyn,
Best wishes from Uncle Ed and Aunt Janice. This should be a great experience; now's the time to do it when you're young. Keep us up-to-date via your blog.

StephLib said...

Hi, Carolyn,

Wow! I had no idea! It is true that you should do this while you are young. I am so proud of you! I had a good time with you the other night and your mom and Hazel. Good luck with everything!
Steph

Tic Tac said...

Wow! Last I talked to you, you were thinking of going to LA...now Alaska. I'm sure you will do great and know we are all just a phone call/e-mail away. I know someone who live/lives up there and she said it is absolutely beautiful. Good Luck!
-Tori

Douglas said...

Wow! Well good luck to you. As the others have said, this does sound like a real good opportunity. I know someone who was in the Army, and stationed in Anchorage for a couple of years, and he loved it. Keep in touch and good luck!

amyljack said...

Carolyn,
I was so surprised to hear of your exciting news. I'm so happy for you. I would love to see you before you leave and will keep in touch once you do. Can't wait to hear about all the unbelievable adventures you will have.

Best of luck!
Amy

The New Mrs. S said...

Holla! I'm so proud of you! What a great idea to keep everyone updated on your progress! Look out Alaska...you have another future award-winning coming to town :) I'm gonna miss you!

Unknown said...

Best of luck, Carolyn!
I'm sure you'll do great out there, just watch out for those eskimos!

Stay Warm,
Brian